A new LMDE release is planned this December including the following:
- All Linux Mint 10 features
- Support for i386 and amd64 architectures
- Improvements to the installer, fonts and sound support
- Performance boost
Most of the improvements and features related to Linux Mint 10 were added to the LMDE repositories today. Improvements to the Software Manager should become available tomorrow.
Because of a problem in mintdesktop 3.2.1, you’ll need to run the following commands to ensure a smooth upgrade:
sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/mintdesktop.prerm
apt install mintdesktop
This hiccup with mintdesktop is fixed in the version you’re upgrading to and a reminiscence of the previous version. Please accept our apologies for this little problem.
Another thing worth mentioning is that mintMenu is now using pixels to define the size of its icons. After upgrading mintMenu, you can do the following:
- Right-click on mintMenu and select “Preferences”
- Click on the “Applications” tab and change the icon size to 22
- Click on the “Favorites” tab and change the icon size to 48
- Click on the “Places” tab and change the icon size to 16
- Click on the “System” tab and change the icon size to 16
I personally look forward to releasing LMDE in 64-bit with the now-famous “4 lines of code” boost-patch and a better installer and in the meantime I hope you’ll enjoy the upgrade and the Mint 10 features.