The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 8 “Helena” LXDE Community Edition.
- Download the ISO or the torrent.
- While it’s downloading look at the overview of the new features in Linux Mint 8 LXDE, read the User Guide and make sure to quickly go through the known issues.
- After the ISO is downloaded verify the MD5 (as described in the user guide).
- Burn the ISO at low speed and enjoy Linux Mint 8 LXDE.
Introduction to Linux Mint 8 LXDE:
Based on Linux Mint 8 Main Edition, Linux 2.6.31, Openbox 18.104.22.168, PCManFM 0.5.2, and Xorg 7.4, Linux Mint 8 LXDE Edition features a complete and familiar desktop experience while being low on resource usage and is suitable for a good variety of older hardware.
For a detailed overview of the new features and improvements included in Linux Mint 8 LXDE, please read “What’s new in Helena LXDE?“.
Here’s a quick benchmark comparing this edition to the Fluxbox and Xfce editions of Linux Mint. All 3 editions were tested on the same hardware (a computer with 384MB RAM).
RAM usage at idle:
- Fluxbox: 131MB
- LXDE: 141MB
- Xfce: 154MB
Maximum RAM usage during the installation:
- Fluxbox: 235MB
- LXDE: 246MB
- Xfce: 262MB
Boot time from Grub to the login manager:
- Fluxbox: 31.16 seconds
- LXDE: 26.79 seconds
- Xfce: 26.46 seconds
Boot time from the login manager to the desktop:
- Fluxbox: 3.32 seconds
- LXDE: 3.77 seconds
- Xfce: 9.63 seconds
- x86 processor
- 256 MB of system memory (RAM)
- 3 GB of disk space for installation
- Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
- CD-ROM drive or USB port
Important information and known issues:
For a complete list of known issues read the release notes.
Download Linux Mint 8 LXDE:
This edition is available via HTTP and torrent from the download page.
Have a lot of fun with this edition and let us know what you think. Reviews will be answered and your feedback will be used to improve the distribution before the next release. We hope you enjoy this release as much as we enjoyed making it and we wish you a very nice experience with Linux Mint.