Linux Mint is proudly sponsored by:
To become a sponsor or to see the full list of Linux Mint sponsors, please visit: http://www.linuxmint.com/sponsors.php
A total of $7,786 was raised thanks to the generous contributions of 288 donors:
- $206, Damijan A.
- $200 (8th donation), Mohammed A.
- $200 (3rd donation), Connie E.
- $133.92, Fireman
- $128.77, Michael H.
- $124.52 (3rd donation), John M.
- $120, Alexander P.
- $100 (3rd donation), Warren A.
- $100 (2nd donation), Jackson T. B.
- $100 (2nd donation), William H.
- $100, Terrell F.
- $100, Bryan L.
- $100, Cameron M.
- $100, Richard S.
- $100, Matthew P.
- $100, Ronald N.
- $100, Goritskaia M.
- $100, John Collins
- $99, Khanh Tablet Inventor
- $80, Robin S.
- $77.26, Frison F.
- $75 (7th donation), Richard H.
- $74.74, Tamer S.
- $64.38 (2nd donation), Robert B.
- $64.38, Constant
- $64.38, Gavin H.
- $64.38, Günter K.
- $64.38, Moreno R.
- $64.38, Markus M.
- $64, Erik E.
- $62.26 (2nd donation), Kirsti D.
- $62.26 (2nd donation), Alberto P.
- $62.26, R. W.
- $62.26, Heinz B.
- $62.26, Thomas W.
- $62.26, Radovan R.
- $51.51, Andres
- $50 (39th donation), Slavoljub aka “slw”
- $50 (33rd donation), Matthew M.
- $50 (32nd donation), Matthew M.
- $50 (7th donation), bdantas
- $50 (2nd donation), Roman K.
- $50, Glenn Sheffield
- $50, Thomas K.
- $50, Paul B.
- $50, Murali B.
- $50, Nathan C.
- $50, Lewis Charitable Fdn aka “LCF”
- $50, Temel B.
- $50, Jeff W.
- $50, David D.
- $50, David I. aka “bodam”
- $50, Bruce I.
- $50, Paul H.
- $40 (2nd donation), Pedro E.
- $38.63, Ines R.
- $38.63, Isak S.
- $37.36 (34th donation), Olli K.
- $37.36 (2nd donation), Vadim M.
- $31.13 (2nd donation), Dick B. aka “Dick”
- $31.13 (2nd donation), Rudolf B.
- $31.13 (2nd donation), Matthias H.
- $31.13, Jolyon H.
- $31.13, Davide D.
- $30 (9th donation), Philippe W.
- $30 (2nd donation), Vavai
- $30 (2nd donation), Ghost7
- $30, Haavard B.
- $30, Sebastian Bartsch aka “SBartsch“
- $30, Gabriele G.
- $30, Andrew W.
- $30, Knut E. E. aka “Animoy”
- $29.62, Raffaele P.
- $28.64, Björn L.
- $25.75 (3rd donation), Mark Coumans aka “omtefotograferen“
- $25.75 (2nd donation), Jim aka “Jimbo”
- $25.75, Daniel K.
- $25.75, Andrea G.
- $25.75, David B. aka “Jimbow”
- $25.75, Josemi
- $25.75, Stig R.
- $25 (15th donation), Ronald W.
- $25 (8th donation), Vance R. aka “helmsdeeper”
- $25 (2nd donation), Fu Y. C.
- $25 (2nd donation), Andy N.
- $25 (2nd donation), Charles R.
- $25 (2nd donation), Hot Tubs
- $25, Edward F. S.
- $25, William K.
- $25, Jon M.
- $25, Michael W.
- $25, Devendra R.
- $25, Jonathan A.
- $25, Jason L.
- $25, Ernie
- $25, Chris C.
- $25, John H.
- $25, Dani Kupak
- $25, Trevor J.
- $25, Rick & Eileen B.
- $25, Bob T.
- $24.9, Friedrich B.
- $24.9, Michael S.
- $24.9, Igor C.
- $24.9, Peter B.
- $24.9, Christian B.
- $24.9, Juan C. D. L. V. S.
- $24.9, Alessio M.
- $20 (22nd donation), Tsuguo S.
- $20 (3rd donation), Ken de Montigny
- $20 (3rd donation), Kevin Safford
- $20 (2nd donation), Ronald D.
- $20 (2nd donation), Todd M.
- $20 (2nd donation), Raman V.
- $20 (2nd donation), Jorgebadad aka “jungle_boy”
- $20 (2nd donation), Michael T.
- $20, Dave R.
- $20, Robert E. S.
- $20, Robert S.
- $20, Pouria A.
- $20, Aaron L.
- $20, Sharon O.
- $20, Lee M.
- $20, Gaurav S.
- $20, Eugen T.
- $20, Charles O. .
- $20, Sigurd L. aka “sigurd1701“
- $20, Arseny P.
- $20, Michael M.
- $20, Steve R. C.
- $20, Pat L.
- $20, Cedric H.
- $20, Narate T.
- $20, Alberto P.
- $20, Rodolfo D. N.
- $20, Paul A.
- $20, Thibault D.
- $20, Lars H.
- $20, Victor Zambrano aka “Don_Vito”
- $19.31 (6th donation), Zoe Q.
- $19.31, Florian H.
- $18.68 (2nd donation), Robert P.
- $18.68, Björn G.
- $18.68, Jas G.
- $18.68, Daniel F.
- $18.68, Volker B.
- $18 (5th donation), Dominik K. aka “doke“
- $17.76, Sam H.
- $15 (2nd donation), Zonic System General Trading – F.Z.E
- $15, Christian P. F.
- $15, J. P. Juchem Neto
- $15, Roger B.
- $15, stratus_ss
- $15, Steven K.
- $15, ice-beam
- $15, James T.
- $15, Michael K.
- $15, Eric D.
- $15, Adam T.
- $12.88 (7th donation), zerozero
- $12.88, Wieger W.
- $12.88, Piotr O.
- $12.88, Lothar R.
- $12.88, Joseph Mc D.
- $12.88, Rok O.
- $12.88, Dieter G.
- $12.8766, Rob K.
- $12.87, Jozef R.
- $12.45 (4th donation), Joachim M.
- $12.45 (2nd donation), Luca D.
- $12.45, Edoardo C.
- $12.45, Dirk P.
- $12.45, Axel B.
- $12.45, Marc P. S.
- $12.45, Sampo P.
- $12.45, Elmar S.
- $12.45, German J. H.
- $12.45, Sebastien P.
- $12.45, Christian N.
- $12.45, Víctor A. R. G.
- $12.45, Terry T.
- $12.45, Javier I. I. A.
- $12.45, Mariano P.
- $12.45, R.G. Molenkamp
- $12.45, Hannu J.
- $12.45, Pierre-louis B.
- $11.5 (9th donation), Matt R. aka “kiswa”
- $10 (22nd donation), Tony C. aka “S. LaRocca”
- $10 (7th donation), Henry W.
- $10 (6th donation), Eduardo O.
- $10 (3rd donation), Scott S.
- $10 (2nd donation), Kamil G.
- $10 (2nd donation), Alexey aka “hellman”
- $10 (2nd donation), Jose M.
- $10 (2nd donation), Dmytro P.
- $10 (2nd donation), Christian S.
- $10, Orhan Kupusoglu
- $10, Niels Z.
- $10, Erwin P.
- $10, Ivan R.
- $10, Fauzi Rachman aka “Flashque“
- $10, Ganesh Karanjkar
- $10, Lee B.
- $10, Michael T.
- $10, Terry F.
- $10, John T.
- $10, Simon E.
- $10, Aristeidis T.
- $10, Berry J.
- $10, Roger A.
- $10, Dean D.
- $10, Jtalk
- $10, Neill F.
- $10, Robin H.
- $10, Thomas O.
- $10, Taisir B.
- $10, Pamino F.
- $10, Raphael C.
- $10, Paolo P. A.
- $10, Hugo B. L.
- $10, Thomas A.
- $10, Yuriy B.
- $10, Mitchell S.
- $10, Jerome L.
- $10, Nicolas D. P.
- $9.96, Antonis P.
- $9.96, Davide N.
- $9 (23rd donation), John A.
- $8, Nyan H. T.
- $8, Russell F.
- $7, Jeffrey S.
- $6.44 (6th donation), SilFox
- $6.44, John R.
- $6.44, Alessandro D.
- $6.44, Jens R.
- $6.23 (10th donation), Marco aka “Dictionary-Maker“
- $6.23 (4th donation), Mark W.
- $6.23, Luis A.
- $6.23, Raffael M.
- $6.23, aka “hardlink”
- $6, Miwa K.
- $5.01, Kuchma R.
- $5 (16th donation), Antonina K. aka “Tonya”
- $5 (4th donation), Christopher R.
- $5 (4th donation), Jerry Jones
- $5 (3rd donation), Roman Nikolaevitch aka “rv82”
- $5 (2nd donation), Amit Barnwal
- $5 (2nd donation), Brooke Dukes aka “BandonRandon“
- $5, GlobalApo.com
- $5, Gary B.
- $5, Nick T.
- $5, Etienne D. K. L.
- $5, Miloserdov S.
- $5, Hamza Umar Boyd aka “TheDynamicHamza21“
- $5, Estate Agents London
- $5, Gábor F.
- $5, Bo S. Y.
- $5, Kristian
- $4.5, Jason G.
- $3.86, Ravi R.
- $3.86, Audran M.
- $3.74 (4th donation), Kjell O. B. aka “kob”
- $3.33 (2nd donation), Kuchma R.
- $3.03 (3rd donation), Louis Pilfold aka “Pop”
- $3 (8th donation), Web Design Company
- $3, Surprise.md
- $29.36 from 22 smaller donations
If you want to help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
- Distrowatch (popularity ranking): 3575 (1st)
- Alexa (website ranking): 6,202nd
- Linux Mint 14 “Nadia” KDE was released
- Linux Mint 14 “Nadia” Xfce was released
- LMDE Update Pack 6 was released
- The Linux Mint 14 OEM installation disks were released
- Linux Mint 14 “Nadia” Xfce RC was released
- Linux Mint 14 “Nadia” KDE RC was released
Development is a lot of fun and it doesn’t take much to get started. If you’re tempted to join the team, don’t hesitate to follow our development on http://github.com/linuxmint and come and chat with the developers at #linuxmint-dev (irc.spotchat.org).
This month we’re giving you a preview of some of the new features we implemented in the LMDE installer.
The timezone selection is now graphical and features a World map:
The keyboard selection now also features a graphical representation of the selected keyboard layout:
On the “User info” screen, you can now select a picture for your user which is then used in the login screen and the lock screen. If your computer has a webcam you can also click the “Take a photo” button and take a picture of yourself.
The installer also features improvements from Schoelje and Bluematt:
- UI improvements
- A slideshow
- Support for manual partitioning and installing on multiple disks
Supporting webcams, calculating lattitude/longitude and map projections and rendering complex graphics was particularly challenging. We were able to find inspiration and bits of code in other installers such as Ubiquity or on websites like StackOverflow. The development of these features was extremely exciting 🙂
Other than the new installer, LMDE also received the new DDM (written by Schoelje) and a Plymouth splash screen.
News and summary:
- Many thanks to our sponsors, partners and donors. As always we received a fantastic amount of support from you! Donations are traditionally high after a main release and Linux Mint 14 was very popular. This month’s donations were at an all-time high. You’ve never supported us that much before, so I’d like to send all donors a big thank you here!
- The new LMDE ISOs are almost ready and they should enter QA sometime this week. As previously announced, LMDE will come in two separate editions for MATE and Cinnamon.
- The team is almost entirely focused on the development of Linux Mint 15. The roadmap is ambitious but everything is going really well so far. We’ve got a lot of improvements to show and we can’t wait to share our excitement and to show you what we’re working on. You can follow some of it on Github or stay tuned for the next “Monthly Stats” where we’ll starting previewing some of it.
- Although this post comes late in the month, we’d like to wish everyone a Happy New Year 2013. We’ve had a fantastic time working on this distribution and interacting with such a great community since 2006. Of course we all knew from the beginning the Mayans were wrong (right?), so here’s to another year of fun and excitement, our best wishes to all of you and our thanks for using Linux Mint. Happy new year everyone! 🙂
Congrats! Just curious, which are the package names for DDM and DPM?
Maybe you explained already why somewhere but : why the graphic of sponsors showing amount of money received has been disabled ?
Edit by Clem: Hi. We used to manage and report on sponsorships the same way we do for donations. Although it worked well for community sponsors, it wasn’t adapted to large sponsors and commercial parties. Some sponsorships don’t involve money or involved money but also services and agreements. There was some unhealthy competition at the top between sponsors to be in the top 3, very little incentive to be #4 and many SEO firms were taking advantage of the system with micro-sponsorships to place links at the bottom of the table. People were confused between the community-driven donations and more commercial sponsorship aspects and it just wasn’t really clear, for people, but also for us in regards to taxation. So we changed things, defined classes of sponsorship, made it less attractive to SEO firms and more attractive to larger potential sponsors. On our side we now regard this source of income as commercial, we don’t communicate figures and we’re in a situation where sponsors don’t bid against each others.
“Support for manual partitioning and installing on multiple disks”
Thank you 🙂 this solves one of the most requested features (and shortcomings) of the present/former live-installer.
nice work! hope that apply’s to the other versions installer. very nice look indeed 🙂
Congrats ! Nice work, very nice 🙂
“Of course we all knew from the beginning the Mayans were wrong”
..And long live Maya !
Does the new LMDE ISO eliminate the beep during login?
How to help with QA of the LMDE UP6 installer? I’d like to setup my spare box with that, so would be willing to try a pre-release version.
Edit by Clem: Oh no no no, you’re not going near it until it passes QA 🙂 Now, with that said you can follow the QA itself at http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
It’s nice that Plymouth splash screen will be added to LMDE, but I like LMDE without it. Will it’s be impossible to disable Plymouth?
Edit by Clem: No, you’ll be able to remove the plymouth packages.
Ok, All that candy stuff is great but what about EFI install support ?
Edit by Clem: It was not addressed in this cycle. It’s becoming more and more of a requirement but it’s already supported by the main editions and most computers still support BIOS so we’re releasing yet another LMDE without support for it.
What about the current problems with sound not working, support for ATI legacy video cards and printer installation & configuration?
“Support for manual partitioning and installing on multiple disks”
Now that I like! Congrats!
graphical timezone selection:
Hopefully this will get rid of this obscure, confusing and huge list of cities to previously choose from, Linux distris where so fond of for way too long. For once it never contained any familiar and large cities in ones familiar vicinity anyway, making that old bulky list rather useless to begin with.
Offering a (graphical) selection of only timezones immensely would clean and speed things up and these days, anybody should know anyway in which TZ he is residing in.
Nice to see that LMDE ISOs are going to be released. I have 2 questions:
1) when the isos will be released? today is January 29 and, yet, no isos…
2) will the new lmde isos support amd legacy drivers? i have an radeon hd 4350 and i dont see me buyng another videocard too soon…
I’m looking forward to Plymouth by default.
I just bought a new Samsung 7 Chronos and can not load LMDE. I have used Linux Mint for 4 years and very disappointed. I just found this article:
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Protection-against-Samsung-UEFI-bug-merged-into-Linux-kernel-1795332.html Do we know how and when this kernel fix will find its way to LMDE updates and the new LMDE?
Edit by Clem: Hi, don’t use EFI (LMDE doesn’t officially support it yet anyway). Afaik the bug is addressed upstream by the kernel team by disabling the samsung module. I don’t know when or if Samsung plans to fix the module itself.
The Mayans never said it will be the “end of the world”. It was the mainstream media in present days who spread FUD as it’s their only purpose. The Mayans predicted big changes coming, in particular to our collective consciousness, therefore affecting all. Do research things. Further, there was more civilizations, not just Mayans, predicting global scale changes happening in these times.
Needless to say I’m expecting/wish for positive, good changes 🙂