The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 8 x64 “Helena”.
- Download the ISO or the torrent.
- While it’s downloading look at the overview of the new features in Linux Mint 8, read the User Guide and make sure to quickly go through the known issues.
- After the ISO is downloaded verify the MD5 (as described in the user guide).
- Burn the ISO at low speed and enjoy testing Linux Mint 8 x64.
Introduction to Linux Mint 8 x64:
This x64 edition of Linux Mint 8 is almost identical to the Main Edition but compiled for 64 bit processors (Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core 2 Quad, AMD Athlon X2 64 and all x86-64 compliant processors). It comes with all the improvements featured in Linux Mint 8 Helena Main Edition.
An X86_64 64 bit processor (Intel Core 2, AMD X2 64, etc…) .
A minimum of 512MB of RAM is recommended. Once installed the system works fine with as low as 256MB RAM. The installation process deals with 2.5GB of data compressed on a 700MB CD and it can hang or fail on systems with less than 512MB RAM. If you have between 256MB and 512MB RAM you may have to try to install several times.
Important information and known issues:
For a complete list of known issues read the Release Notes.
Download Linux Mint 8 x64:
You can download Linux Mint 8 x64 via torrent or via HTTP:
Size: 686MB LiveCD
Torrent download: http://www.linuxmint.com/torrent/LinuxMint-8-x64.iso.torrent
HTTP download: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=46
- http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/LinuxMint-ISO/stable/8/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.riken.jp/pub/Linux/linuxmint/stable/8/ (Japan)
- http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/linux/mint/isos/stable/8/ (Austria)
- http://mint.nano-box.net/iso/stable/8/ (Bulgaria)
- http://mirrors.cytanet.com.cy/linux/mint/stable/8/ (Cyprus)
- http://ftp.klid.dk/ftp/linuxmint/stable/8/ (Denmark)
- ftp://ftp.linuxmint-fr.org/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/8/ (France)
- http://linuxmint.cybermirror.org/stable/8/ (Germany)
- http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/debian/mint/stable/8/ (Germany)
- http://mirror.netcologne.de/mint/stable/8/ (Germany)
- http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/linuxmint/stable/8/ (Greece)
- http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/8/ (Ireland)
- http://cesium.di.uminho.pt/pub/linuxmint/stable/8/ (Portugal)
- http://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/linuxmint/stable/8/ (Sweden)
- http://mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net/linuxmint.com/stable/8/ (UK)
- http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/linuxmint/stable/8/ (Canada)
- http://mirror.amarillolinux.com/linuxmint/stable/8/ (USA)
- http://mint.ez.by/linuxmint.com/stable/8/ (USA)
- ftp://linuxfreedom.com/linuxmint/linuxmint.com/stable/8/ (USA)
- http://ftp.cs.rose-hulman.edu/linuxmint/stable/8/ (USA)
- http://linuxmint.secsup.org/stable/8/ (USA)
- ftp://mirrors.secution.com/linuxmint.com/stable/8/ (USA)
- http://mira.sunsite.utk.edu/linuxmint/stable/8/ (USA)
Rest of the World:
If you are running Linux Mint 8 x64 RC1 you do not need to upgrade. The system you installed went gold and was chosen for this stable release, i.e. the ISO images for both the RC1 and stable releases are the same.
An upgrade path for Linux Mint 7 “Gloria” x64 users will be published this week.
Have a lot of fun with this 64 bit version of “Helena” and let us know what you think. Reviews will be answered and your feedback will be used to improve the distribution before the next release. We hope you enjoy this release as much as we enjoyed making it and we wish you a very nice experience with Linux Mint.